Friday, April 6, 2012

No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow


In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt. 
~Margaret Atwood

With the beginning of April, and a mild winter behind us, spring has come early here at Inseguire. With it marks the beginnings of many things such as trial season, flyball tournaments, disc competitions, and generally enjoying the great outdoors. It also marks the beginning of a new chapter for Inseguire with the addition of a new terrier. When a good friend offered me the chance at a lovely terrier from a foundation line of Little Eden kennel I jumped at the chance. I have been considering for quite some time now adding the right boy to our mix. While, as a general rule in the past, I do not like to limit my options by keeping my own males I am finding it progressively more difficult to arraign shipping for my girls from our rather remote Canadian location. This leaves me with the options of either a) only being able to breed my girls around air-shipment availability schedules, or b) keeping a select male or two and still sending out the occasional female when the star align in such a way that it is possible to do so. I did not come by this decision lightly and have been keeping an eye out for such a male for a while now. I found a couple whom I loved and who would compliment my females and ideals nicely but being that most breeders, understandably, keep the best for themselves none were available for purchase. The next best thing was however available, a lovely bitch with the pedigree I had been looking at acquiring. Arraignments were made to bring her to Canada and subsequently breed her to a stud dog I adore who's pedigree is a line matching to hers. With this mating we are hoping to produce very typie puppies with the pedigree, conformation, and drive to expand and improve our particular type of terrier. To say I am excited would be an understatement and with a little less than 2 weeks until these puppies are due I am finding it harder and harder to contain.

Little Eden Diva II                          Little Eden Dempsey

Little Eden Dempsey


Spring around here once again echos the season in that it brings an end to our journey with our current litter of puppies. Before Robert left for his home in Washington state I had bred him to Calliope for a repeat of the litter that produced Lokasenna and Strike-A-Pose. These puppies, like their predecessors, have been an absolute hoot and a joy to have around. They will go on to be lovely companions in their respective families and we hope will bring as much joy to them as they have to us. It is bittersweet as I really do love each and every puppy we produce and can always come up with some justification or another for why I could keep them. However, in the end, seeing the joy they bring to their new families and being able to touch the lives of others in such a profound and positive way reminds me of one of the many reasons I go through all the trials and tribulations associated with being a breeder and helps ease the pain of letting them go. And in the words of Edward Giobbi:

I think that no matter how old or infirm I may become, I will always plant a large garden in the spring. Who can resist the feelings of hope and joy that one gets from participating in nature's rebirth? 

Tan and White Male

Tan and White Female

Tri Colored Female

No comments:

Post a Comment